The Plano Parks and Recreation Adapted Recreation programs offer recreational opportunities for individuals with special needs from 12 months to over 60 years of age. Programs are offered year round and provide a variety of activities such as; fitness, crafts and fine arts, education, outings and a variety of other programs that meet the needs of children/teens and adults with disabilities. Most classes are held at Liberty Recreation Center, 2601 Glencliff Drive. See our Leisure Catalog for location, dates and times.
Click here to watch a brief video about our programs.
Classes, Trips and Events
Adapted Recreation offers a wide variety of classes, trips and special events year-round. The Leisure Catalog lists programs offered during the year or you may search Leisure OnLine. All participants must be registered before attending a class or event.
Stay current with Adapted Recreation by viewing our Fun with Adapted Recreation Newsletter. The newsletter is sent monthly by email. If you are not currently receiving the newsletter and would like to, please make sure we have your current email on file. You may also view the newsletter by clicking on the link below.
March 2016 Newsletter
Adapted Recreation Programs
Winter/Spring 2016 Programs
Plano Adapted Recreation's Video Production Camp was recently named "Winner of Excellence in Programming 2015" by the Texas Recreation and Parks Society (TRAPS) for the state of Texas! Each year TRAPS recognizes cities that have made a significant contribution by offering quality programs to their community. Adapted Recreation’s Video Production Camp was chosen over many other cities that have applied for this award.
Come out and be creative! Participants will use various art materials that will allow their creative minds to be adventurous in making great projects. Drop off and pick up will be at Liberty Recreation Center, 2601 Glencliff.
Class #177798, Sunday, April 24 , 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Cost $30
Frisco Rough Riders Game (16 Yrs & up)
Come have fun watching the Rough Riders play against San Antonio at the stadium in Frisco. Registration fee includes, transportation, all you can eat buffet, and a Rough Rider souvenir. Drop off and pick up will be at Liberty Recreation Center, 2601 Glencliff.
Class #178158, Saturday, May 21, 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Cost $39
Social Life Prep Program (15-25 Yrs)
The course will be taught by a speech-language pathologist and development psychologist and will prepare the higher functioning older teen and young adults to participate in a variety of spontaneous and planned social interactions. Three sessions will focus on guided instruction, role-playing, texting and email; feedback for making introductions and small talk. The participant must be independent for self-care, verbal at conversational level, willing to accept verbal feedback, and have no disruptive behaviors.
Class #181233, starting March 24, 7pm-8:30pm. Cost $69 for 4 classes.
Monthly Dance Club Themes
Fun Bunch Bowlers, for ages 15 and up, is held at Allen Bowling, 1011 S Greenville Avenue, Allen, on alternating Saturdays from 10-11:45 a.m.
2016 Fun Bunch Bowlers Schedule
This combo exercise class is offered at Crull Fitness, 2701 Custer Road, Ste. 801, Richardson.
Ages 9-16 is offered on Tuesday evening, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Ages 17-30 is offered on Thursday evening 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Kids Night Out
Liberty Recreation Center, 2601 Glencliff Drive
We thank you for your cooperation in following Adapted Recreation Guidelines. Read the following to insure the safety of your child.
- Payment for all activities must be made before class time begins. Registration is required for all programs.
- All participants must have a Participant Information Form on file each year with the Adapted Recreation Department.
- Please provide a quick response should our staff contact you while your child is attending a program.
- YOUR PROMPTNESS IN PICKING UP YOUR PARTICIPANT IS REQUESTED. The staff has other commitments after a program and your consideration is greatly appreciated. Late pick-ups of 15 minutes or more are subject to an additional fee.
- If a participant is picked up by anyone other than their parent/guardian, please notify staff with a written letter that includes the name and phone number of the person. The person will then need to show a photo ID before picking up the participant.
- Participants must have a ride home. They will not be allowed to walk home. For evening programs, parents should pick up the kids themselves or have prearranged public transportation, if appropriate.
- For evening programs, please arrange prompt pick up. Many of our recreation centers are closed by 9 p.m. If an outing runs after 9 p.m., there is no indoor safe place for the participant to wait for a caregiver or taxi (when appropriate).
- Participants requiring assistance with matters not directly related to the activities and needing assistance with toileting and feeding must bring an assistant.
- Plano Adaptive Recreation reserves the right to send participants home if displaying in appropriate behaviors. If this occurs, THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS GIVEN ON CLASS TIME THAT WAS MISSED FROM THE PROGRAM. Examples of, but not limited to are:
- Failure to comply with directions or requests by staff
- Harm to self. Physically harming/injuring self, staff, participants or volunteers
- Destruction of property or improper use of property that belongs to the program
- Inappropriate language, actions and/or gestures
- Disrespecting staff by talking back, not listening to staff or following directions
- Smile! We may take photos of participants enrolled in our programs. These photos may be used to promote our programs through displays, brochures, videos, newsletters and social media. Please inform us in writing if you do not want your participant to be photographed.
Adapted Recreation welcomes anyone over the age of 15 that would like to volunteer during our programs. Volunteers do need to fill out an application form and a background check will be done on all adults.
Volunteer Form for Adapted Recreation