Organization & Staffing
Protecting & Serving the Plano Community
The Plano Police Department is a progressive organization comprised of an authorized staff of 410 sworn Officers, 178 full-time civilian employees, and 79 civilian part-time employees who are dedicated professionals. The Department offers traditional law enforcement services to our community as well as innovative approaches to community problems. The Plano Police Department is a nationally accredited law enforcement agency and has been since 1992.
Different Roles of Police Department
- Administrative Services Bureau handles many basic services of the Department. It supports all sworn members in several capacities: planning and research, fiscal affairs, crime analysis, alarm permitting and tracking, records maintenance, jail operations, crime scene investigation, property and evidence storage, technology, and supply operations.
- Chief's Office consists of the Chief, two Assistant Chiefs, two Administrative Operations Managers, a Legal Adviser, two Senior Administrative Assistants, and one Administrative Support Supervisor. Personnel in the Professional Standards Unit and Public Information Office are also part of the Chief's Office.
- Criminal Investigative Services Division is divided into two sections, Crimes Against Persons and Crimes Against Property. The Division is headed by a Deputy Chief, and each section by a Lieutenant. Crimes Against Persons Section is comprised of the following Units: Family Violence, Narcotics, Surveillance, and Sex Crimes. The Crimes Against Property Section consists of Vehicle Crimes, Burglary, General, Forgery, Intelligence, and Juvenile Units. A total of eight Sergeants, 63 Officers, and nine civilian employees staff this Division.
- Patrol Services Division is the largest Division in the Police Department, with a strength of two Deputy Chiefs, nine Lieutenants, 23 Sergeants, 215 Officers, and 21 civilian employees. The Division is made up of the following Units: Patrol, Canine, Neighborhood Patrol Officers, and Public Safety.
- Support Services Division is comprised of six specialized Units providing essential support to the Department: Crime Prevention, School Liaison, Traffic, Training, Warrants, and Homeland Security. This Division is staffed with a Deputy Chief, four Lieutenants, an Administrative Lieutenant, a Technology Liaison Officer, six Sergeants, 54 Officers, and 12 civilian employees.