Environmental School Awards
SEED Presents Environmental School Awards
The City of Plano Sustainability & Environmental Education Division (SEED) promotes programs that educate and involve students in activities resulting in an increased awareness about and concern for our environment. The Environmental School Awards are designed to recognize schools and school groups that make outstanding contributions towards involving Plano students in environmental activities and programs throughout the school year.
Applications are now available for projects and efforts completed from May 2016 through May 2017. Applications for 2016-2017 Environmental Star of Excellence Awards will be accepted from March 15 through August 1, 2017.
These awards are open to all PISD schools, regardless of location and grade level. Schools may apply for more than one of the following categories.
The ESOE Educational Institution Awards are divided into three categories: Educational Institution Award, Environmental School Awards New Environmental Awareness Groups (less than two years old), and Environmental School Awards Existing Environmental Awareness Groups (more than two years old).
• Educational Institution – recognizes an institution whose efforts have improved the community and school by promoting or incorporating one or more of the following practices: waste minimization, recycling, composting, litter prevention, beautification, water conservation, energy conservation, air quality initiatives, or other green practices. To apply for this award, complete the Community Awards application.
• Environmental Awareness Group – New Groups (less than 2 years old) – recognizes a school’s organized effort to integrate environmental education into extracurricular activity encouraging students to make responsible environmental choices
• Environmental Awareness Group – Existing Groups (more than 2 years old) – recognizes a school’s organized effort to integrate environmental education into extracurricular activity encouraging students to make responsible environmental choices
• Applications may be submitted in more than one category but each application must be tailored to one specific award. The same application cannot be used for another category.
• Up to five double-sided pages of supplemental materials may be included, i.e. photos, news articles, flyers, internal communications, etc.
• Only correctly completed award applications will be accepted and judged by a panel of selected individuals representing the Plano community.
• Five points will be deducted from the overall score if a JPG photo does not accompany the application. Photos will be used at the awards celebration to recognize winners.
• Applicants winning two consecutive years in the same category are not eligible to apply for that same award for 12 months following their most recent award. They are encouraged to apply for awards in other categories.
NOTE: Applications must be submitted by August 1, 2017
The ESOE Awards will be presented at the Environmental Community Awards celebration on Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Details will be available closer to the event. All applicants will be invited. Cash awards, in the amount of $500, will be presented to each of the winners.