Live Green in Plano offers classes on composting throughout the year. Topics include Basics of Backyard Composting, Food Composting with Worms, and Basics of Bokashi.
Check out our upcoming programs and events for an up-to-date schedule and to register for a class.
No time for classes? Try one of our online learning modules and learn from home:
Backyard Composting Composting Food Waste
Join the Master Composter Training Program
While training to become a Master Composter, you will learn:
- The basics of turning that garden debris into garden gold
- What to put in and what to leave out of your compost pile
- How to mix, moisten and manage your way to successful soil enrichment
- How to stop scraping food scraps down the drain and turn them into a nutritious soil amendment
- The 7 steps to a Texas SmartScape© water-conserving yard
- Which native and adapted plants do well in our region
- How to deal with unwelcome bugs in your garden
Who are Master Composters?
Master Composters are community volunteers who love turning yard trimmings into compost and showing others how to do the same. If you are passionate about gardening, enjoy talking with friends and neighbors and want to share your knowledge, we want you to join the Master Gardener training program and become a State of Texas Master Composter!
Master Composter Training
The 16-hour, four-class series will give you an in-depth understanding of the composting process. Residents enrolling in Master Composter training are asked to complete 20 hours of community service to advance local composting efforts.
Master Composter training is held each January:
Class 1 Thursday, January 24, 7-9 p.m.
Class 2 Friday, January 25, 7-9 p.m.
Class 3 Saturday, January 26, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Class 4 Thursday, February 21, 7-9 p.m.
For more information, see our Master Composter training proposal.
- Register for the 2019 Master Composter Series
- Master Composter Training
- Texas Pure Products
- US Composting Council
- Composting Food Waste Online Learning Module
- Don't Throw it, Compost It Brochure
- Bokashi Brochure
- Food Waste Composting Brochure
Contact Erin Hoffer by email Opens a New Window. or at (972) 769-4228.