Environmental Star of Excellence
The Environmental Star of Excellence (ESOE) Community Awards are designed to recognize organizations and individuals that demonstrate outstanding environmental leadership and achievement within the Plano community. The ESOE Community Awards also support those organizations and individuals that approach sustainability through decision-making that integrates environmental, economic and social concerns to ensure responsible management of resources for future generations.
Applications are now available for projects and efforts completed from May 2017 through May 2018. Applications for 2017-2018 Environmental Star of Excellence Awards will be accepted until August 1, 2018.
These awards highlight and celebrate successful local projects and organizations. Projects should promote or incorporate one or more of the following practices: waste minimization, recycling, composting, litter prevention, beautification, water conservation, energy conservation, air quality initiatives or other green practices. Award categories are specifically designed to recognize the following:
- Nonprofits (includes faith-based entities) - $500
- Educational institutions (any level) - $500
- Neighborhood group / homeowners association - $500
- Community Partnership Award - Recognizes an organization who has partnered with the City of Plano to accomplish an environmental objective which benefits the Plano community, or compels residents to take action to protect the environment in some way. - $500
The Community Outreach Award honors an individual who has been instrumental in reaching out to the community to promote environmental and sustainability programs and/or educate residents about issues which impact environmental quality in Plano (These can be environmental initiatives independent of City of Plano programs. The nominee may have been involved in a number of different types of initiatives or only one.) Nominations may come from third party, self-nomination, or a staff member in the City of Plano's Sustainability and Environmental Education division.
- Individual: Adult - $500
- Individual: Youth - $500
- Applications may be submitted in more than one category but each application must be tailored to one specific award. The same application cannot be used for another category.
- Only correctly completed award applications will be accepted and judged by a panel of selected individuals representing the Plano community.
- Applicants winning two consecutive years in the same category are not eligible to apply for that same award for 12 months following their most recent award. They are encouraged to apply for awards in other categories.