Euthanasia & Cremation Services
When animals have a significantly diminished quality of life due to health or behavioral reasons, owners may elect to have their pet humanely euthanized at the shelter. It may not be an easy decision for owners to make but this website has some information that may be helpful in this difficult time.
All euthanasia is performed by injection by trained staff members and the remains are then cremated. We request that residents bring their animal into the shelter but exceptions can be made for elderly and/or handicapped residents or special circumstances. A separate pick-up fee of $20 may be charged if this service is necessary. Plano residents can bring their pets to the shelter for euthanasia Tuesdays - Fridays from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
What you need to know:
- There is a $25 fee to provide this service.
- The owner will sign an owner request for euthanasia form.
- We do not provide this service on Saturdays or Sundays unless special circumstances require it.
- Owners cannot be present during this procedure and remains cannot be returned.
As a service to our citizens, deceased pets and wildlife are removed by Animal Services Officers and cremated at the shelter.
Deceased pets can be dropped off anytime during regular hours or if the owner can’t deliver the animal to the shelter, an officer can be dispatched to pick up the deceased pet.
What you need to know:
- There is a $20 fee to have a pet cremated at the shelter ($25 euthanasia fee does include the cremation)
- No private cremations are offered and no remains can be returned to owners.
If a private cremation is desired, Animal Services has provided a local listing of companies that provide these services. If the animal is to be euthanized at our shelter, please make arrangements to have the company of your choice pick up the remains from us prior to bringing the animal in for euthanasia. You must let us know when the pet is brought in for euthanasia which company will be coming to pick up the remains in order for us to hold them.
Deceased wildlife within the City limits are removed at no charge. To request service, call the shelter at 972-769-4360 and an officer will be dispatched to your house or wherever the animal is located.