Neighborhood Leadership Academy
The Neighborhood Leadership Academy is a free program developed to support and enhance neighborhood groups looking to make a greater community impact. The Academy is open to active voluntary HOAs, Neighborhood Associations and Crime Watch groups. About 4-5 voluntary neighborhood groups will be selected to become the first Academy cohort, running from September 2019 - August 2020. The Academy will meet once a month. Neighborhood groups will work together to identify a neighborhood project and be encouraged to collaborate between scheduled sessions.
During this period, Academy members will learn about:
In addition, members will have the opportunity to:
- Assessing Strengths and Gaps
- Community Organizing and Resident Engagement
- Finding and Using Your Community’s Assets
- Taking Action
- and MORE!
• Receive support from an assigned Neighborhood Planner
• Network with other neighborhood groups
• Take advantage of mentoring opportunities
• Build support and prepare for a community-driven project
• Be a voluntary neighborhood group
• Have a minimum of 4 active volunteers or members
• Be committed to attend all scheduled workshops (minimum of two neighborhood representatives at each meeting)
• Be registered with the Neighborhood Services Database
Application Review Process
Applications for the Neighborhood Leadership Academy are accepted mid- July through mid-August. Applications are reviewed by a panel of city staff. Acceptance notifications are sent in late August. The deadline for the 2019 Academy has passed. 2020 Academy application link and session schedule will be available next summer.
Selected groups will be invited to an Academy Kick-off Celebration on Friday, September 6, 2019, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Sessions will be held on the third Thursdays of every month (no session held in December), 6 to 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 19th Thursday, March 19th
Thursday, Oct. 17th Thursday, April 16th
Thursday, Nov. 21st Thursday, May 21st
No December meeting Thursday, June 18th
Thursday, Jan. 16th Thursday, July 16th
Thursday, Feb. 20th Thursday, Aug. 20th
For more information or questions, contact Keisha at 972-208-8150 or Kcyriaano@plano.gov.