From 1970-1974 the population of Plano grew more than 92 percent and the City decided to build a second library. Two Bond elections were held in 1975 ($790,000) and 1980 ($307,000) to purchase land and construct a new library complete with a basement. The 26,246 square feet Louise Ernestine Rammers Schimelpfenig Library opened in June 1980 with a collection of 25,000 volumes. The library’s name commemorates the efforts of Louise Schimelpfenig who opened her personal book collection to the community in 1884 and provided the city’s earliest library service. In 1997 the library was renovated and expanded to 30,000 square feet on two floors.