Green School Program
The Green School Certification Program honors and rewards both Plano private and PISD K-12 schools for efforts towards environmental stewardship. It empowers school communities and fosters pride while teaching and modeling respect for our environment and natural resources.
Participating schools have the opportunity to achieve either Green School Certification or Green Star School Certification (1 Star, 2 Star, 3 Star, 4 Star, 5 Star) based on their sustainability efforts.
- Assistance in implementing a successful structured recycling program and implementing additional environmental initiatives.
- Recognition for environmental efforts.
- Awarded schools will be invited to our Green School Awards Ceremony and receive a certificate, window cling and banner to show off their achievements.
- Awarded schools will be eligible for cash awards.
How to Apply
Enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year is now closed. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your interest in joining the program.
These are the steps you will take as you apply for and walk through the program:
- Submit completed enrollment form to email@example.com.
- Schedule a meeting with City of Plano to go over the checklist, or attend a webinar or in-person training.
- City of Plano staff and PISD facilities staff will schedule and conduct an initial, full campus waste audit with the Green Team Leader.
- City of Plano will schedule custodian training.
- Complete the Green Team Leader Training Checklist.
- Make a plan to achieve Green School Certification or Green Star School Certification.
- Begin implementing initiatives.
- Submit short bi-monthly questionnaires to City of Plano Staff.
- Pass two (2) unscheduled audits by City of Plano Staff.
- A successful audit will show proper use of bins, black and clear bags per custodial guidelines, and recycling dumpsters will not exceed 25% contamination by trash
(non-recyclables) upon visual inspection. In addition, trash dumpsters will show no more than 25% recyclable material upon visual inspection.
- Submit completed checklist by April 3, 2020.
- 2019-2020 Program Checklist
- Green School Program Resources
- Custodial Guidelines
- Dumpster Audit Form
- Recycle Poster 1 & Recycle Poster 2
Green School Program 2018-2019 Awardees
Barron Elementary ★
Davis Elementary ★★
Hedgcoxe Elementary ★★
Carpenter Middle ★★
Renner Middle ★
Rice Middle ★★★★
Schimelpfenig Middle ★★★
Clark High ★★
Senior High Schools
Plano West Senior High ★★★
Check out the Green Schools Program 2018-2019 highlights to learn more.