Join Our Team
An Exciting Career
Working for an emergency communications agency is an exciting career, especially with a center as technologically advanced as the City of Plano's. As a new employee you will undergo extensive training with our staff. You will learn how to help people in desperate situations and provide life-saving instructions to callers, as well as coordinate police responses and dispatch fire and ambulance services when needed.
Starting salary is $40,000 per year. Please see if you meet our minimum qualifications, then proceed to review and begin the steps in our hiring process.
If you have any questions please email our recruiter, who is responsible for administering the selection / hiring process for call taking and involved with special projects as needed.
Plano Public Safety Communications wants employees who take pride in the strenuous privilege of 9-1-1 dispatching. We offer extensive job-related training; you are not required to already know how to handle emergency phone calls. However, below is a list of minimum qualifications that one must possess to be considered for the position:
- Availability to work a variety of shifts as assigned, including days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed
- Data entry speed of at least 3,400 keystrokes per hour
- Ability to type at least 35 words per minute
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must meet the requirements to be applicable for a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) certification
- Knowledge of telephone skills as related to a multi-function phone or PBX system preferred
- One year experience in a customer service environment preferred
Below is a list of steps you will go through as an applicant. Due to the extensive testing required for these positions, a hiring process time of 6 weeks is not uncommon.
- Complete online application through Human Resources
- Complete online testing by the deadline
- Complete paperwork including Applicant Acknowledgement Letter, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Authorization for Motor Vehicle Records Check, and Personal History Statement
- Preliminary background screening
- Panel interview
- Background investigation, including polygraph and psychological evaluation, personal reference checks, and employment verification
- Hearing test and physical examination
- One-hour observation of Plano PSC call-taking and dispatch operations and final interview with department manager
- Public Safety Communications Disqualifier List (PDF)
- Public Safety Communications FAQs (PDF)
- Public Safety Communications Compensation Plan (PDF)