Commercial Waste & Recycling
|The City of Plano is a franchised city allowing only Allied Waste/Republic Services to set trash containers at construction and demolition sites, and haul trash from commercial properties. Recycling is a permitted process; please see the Permitted Recycling Haulers link to your left.|
Established in 1999, Commercial Recycling programs have helped hundreds of Plano businesses conserve resources. As Plano nears commercial build-out, increased utilization of waste diversion programs for new and existing businesses is a pivotal part of program success.
With the commitment of local businesses, Commercial Recycling has increased the city’s diversion rate from 5% in 1999 to over 40%. The commercial sector accounts for over 70% of Plano’s solid waste material, and progress is achieved through four main programs:
- Construction and Demolition Recycling - This program offers project superintendents and site managers an incentive for recycling construction debris such as concrete, wood and metal on new construction, alteration, remodeling and demolition projects. In fiscal year ending 2016, this program helped divert over 84,000 tons from local landfills and resulted in sizable cost savings in debris disposal for program participants.
- Single-Stream Recycling Opens a New Window. - This program mirrors the recycling program for Plano residents, allowing the collection of all acceptable materials in a single container. Single-Stream recycling is the easiest program for businesses of all sizes and types to implement. It is estimated that 98% of Plano businesses could successfully participate in this program.
- Green Business Certification (GBC) - This program is for businesses that exhibit enhanced environmental attributes. Recycling is just the start. This program is designed for small to medium-sized Plano businesses - no matter their current environmental status. Get connected with Plano businesses utilizing numerous sustainability measures.
Your commercial recycling team represent over 60 years of collective recycling industry experience. They look forward to assisting you with waste minimization through conducting waste-stream audits, providing recycling training, assisting in preparation for Green Business Certification, and offering environmental resources. These value-added services are provided to Plano businesses at no cost.
To learn more about these offerings and begin your journey towards environmental excellence, please contact Commercial Recycling at 972-769-4393 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Commercial Recycling's Construction and Demolition (C&D) Recycling program offers builders, contractors and developers the opportunity to divert concrete, wood, brick and metal, as well as traditional recyclables such as glass, plastics, paper and cardboard from construction sites.
The program is a recycling incentive program which assesses a monetary deposit based on the project's square footage and project type: alteration, remodel, demolition or new construction.
Commercial Recycling coordinators are available to offer assistance through support materials, information and training.
For more information, contact Commercial Recycling at 972-769-4393 or by email.
Commercial Recycling's Single-Stream Recycling Program offers businesses the opportunity to divert their waste stream from the landfill. Our knowledgeable staff can provide a recycling plan to help your business reduce disposal cost while making a positive impact on the environment.
This program includes the following acceptable materials:
- Plastic and glass containers
- Cardboard, paper, newspapers, magazines and catalogs
- Aluminum, steel, aerosol and tin containers
Seeking the City of Plano's Green Business Certification (GBC) indicates you have a commitment to our community and environment.
As you embark on the certification process, we are confident your business will reap the economic and environmental benefits of the sustainable changes you put into place. Environmentally-aware consumers are seeking to do business with establishments which mirror their concern for the conservation of our resources and are good stewards for the Earth. Our goal is to recognize small- to medium-sized businesses which exhibit verifiable sustainable attributes and assist in connecting them to green consumers.
The GBC will initially offer certification to offices, retail outlets, restaurants, grocery stores and multi-family communities. As our program progresses, additional industry categories may be included in the certification process.
The City of Plano’s Green Business Certification (GBC) program was developed by the City to recognize green businesses and is managed by the City’s Commercial Recycling Division. The GBC program verifies these businesses are upholding a commitment to conduct their daily practices to reduce the impact on our environment. The program also focuses on a checklist of green operational practices designed for small- to medium-sized consumer businesses with a walk-in clientele.
Not only do green business practices benefit the environment, they make good economic sense—saving your business money. Candidates for the GBC program must provide evidence of completion of specific green initiatives in the following areas:
- general education
- waste reduction
- energy efficiency
- water efficiency
- pollution prevention
- and sustainable purchasing.
There is also an elective category of innovation for those businesses that wish to elevate their sustainability efforts. Some initiatives vary by industry, but all have core requirements which must be fulfilled for certification. If your business has already taken sustainable steps, you are on your way to certification.
It is the City of Plano’s vision that businesses who earn certification will save money, assist in protecting our environment and have their business recognized for its efforts in a variety of ways. The City intends to ensure certified businesses maintain environmental integrity and are authentic in their actions and results.
For more information, contact Commercial Recycling by email or 972-769-4393.