Environmental Education Center
Built in 2010, the Environmental Education Center is one of the City of Plano’s first green buildings and is certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as LEED Platinum (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The design incorporates many sustainable features.
- Coordination of architectural site orientation and layout design for maximum energy efficiency (roof overhangs, east-west orientation, shade)
- Use of recycled, renewable and non-toxic materials (low VOC paint and adhesives, reclaimed wood, compressed recycled paper counters, recycled glass terrazzo flooring and fly-ash concrete)
- Integration of energy efficient and renewable energy technologies (solar panels, natural lighting, photovoltaics, wind turbine and living green roof)
- Applications of water conservation techniques (rainwater harvesting, gray-water recycling, low-flow water system, drip irrigation)
- Incorporation of educational tools (interpretive displays, interactive programs, workshops and public presentations)
U.S. Green Building Council Public LEED Project of the Year, 2013
The Natural Choice for Private Events
The Environmental Education Center (EEC) is a sustainable, green venue for small to mid-sized events such as meetings, workshops, classes, team building, weddings, showers, parties, picnics and family reunions.
By holding your event at the Environmental Education Center and its surrounding gardens, you provide your guests with a relaxing natural setting that demonstrates best practices for green living at home or work.
Rates & Hours
Standard rental hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. **Weekend and evening events are subject to after hours rates.
**Please include an additional $30 per hour to the quoted standard hours rate schedule for any after hours events which include use of audio/visual system.
Renting the Environmental Education Center makes event planning easy. When you book this beautiful, educational and sustainable venue, you’ll enjoy many free amenities which simplify event details.
Depending on your event setup, such as use of tables and chairs, the meeting room’s capacity varies from 40 to 100 people with 1,122 sq. feet.
The galley kitchen comes stocked with:
Two distinctive garden settings are available for events:
- - A lovely, peaceful garden featuring attractive and colorful drought-tolerant landscaping, artwork, large pave-stone patio with benches and meandering trails which offer conversational areas.
- Nature Explore Garden - A colorful, interactive and educational setting for children’s events. This living classroom and butterfly garden offer a large patio space with benches, two large picnic tables, and adult-guided activities.
Schedule a Tour or Program at the EEC
Schedule a tour with an educator and learn what makes the Environmental Education Center so green!
All tours and programs must be requested through our online registration system and times are subject to availability.
September - May: Mon. - Fri. from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. All youth field trips must be completed before sundown for safety reasons.
June - August: Mon. - Fri. 8 - 10 a.m.
- Grades 3-5: Tour & Recycle/Reuse materials matching activity
- Grades 6-12 & Adults: Complete building tour
45 minutes (Presentation lengths may be adjusted according to children’s ages or developmental level.)
|Plano ISD / Plano-based groups / Plano scout groups:|
There is a minimum charge of $45 for a group of up to 15 participants.
Each additional participant is $3.
|Groups outside of Plano:|
There is a minimum charge of $60 for a group of up to 15 participants.
Each additional participant is $4.
Fees are payable on the day of the workshop in the form of exact cash or check. Please make checks payable to the City of Plano. You can also pre-pay via Visa or MasterCard.
Group Size Requirements
Minimum: 15 participants
Maximum: 30 participants
If your group exceeds the maximum number of participants, we are able to facilitate more than one tour at a time upon request (at the time of booking).
Chaperone Requirements for Youth Groups
We require 1 adult chaperone per 15 children. Kindergarten and 1st grade presentations may require additional chaperones.