News Flash

City of Plano Environmental Health

Posted on: January 6, 2017

Preparation and Sale of Homemade Foods

Preparation and Sale of Homemade Foods

Have you ever wondered what you might be able to make at home and sell? The City of Plano Environmental Health Division has received several inquiries recently and would like to clarify the rules around homemade foods. The Texas Cottage Food Law does allow for certain homemade goods to be sold, including:

• Baked goods that do not require refrigeration, such as cakes, cookies, breads, and pastries

• Candy (including chocolate, chocolate-dipped pretzels, etc.)

• Coated and uncoated nuts

• Unroasted nut butters

• Fruit butters (see further explanation below)*

• Canned jams and jellies

• Fruit pies

• Dehydrated fruits and vegetables including dried beans

• Popcorn and popcorn snacks

• Cereal, including granola

• Dry mixes

• Vinegar

• Pickles (see further explanation below)**

• Mustard

• Roasted coffee or dry tea

• Dried herbs or herb mixes

*Fruit butters: Only non-potentially hazardous (does not require refrigeration) fruit butters may be made and sold by cottage food producers. These include: apple, apricot, grape, peach, plum, quince, and prune butters.

**Pickles: Only pickled cucumbers are allowed; not all pickled vegetables. Keep in mind that there are federal requirements for making acidified foods such as pickles. If you sell across state lines, the federal requirements would apply. Under the FDA’s interpretation of “interstate commerce,” federal requirements might also apply to cottage food producers who purchase supplies from out-of-state.

Foods that require refrigeration are not permitted   to be sold under the cottage foods law, and include, but are not limited to:

• Meat, poultry, or seafood products, including beef jerky

• Dairy products

• Raw seed sprouts

• Salsas or other canned tomato products

• Canned vegetables, such as canned corn or green beans

• Chocolate-covered fruits

• Baked goods requiring refrigeration, such as cheesecake, tres leches cake, pumpkin pie, and meringue pies

• Ice products

If you have any questions related to cottage foods you can contact the Environmental Health Division office at 972-941-7143.

Facebook Twitter Email